[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Mon Oct 27 06:39:58 MDT 2014

You can mount the phone's storage over ssh with sshfs and then
literally use any program on you computer to access as everything is
presented as local files (despite really involving ssh over network
behind the scenes).

nautilus "connect to server" and select the ssh options is probably
the easiest way to do this.

The slightly more horrible way is to
scp the file to local disk,
work with it
scp the modified file back.

Of course your local vim can edit files accross an ssh connection
without mounting as a filesystem.
cut out the middle man

 vim scp://you@server/file

where file is relative to your home directory. This does the scp dance
automagically for you in the bacground.

vim, emacs - you don't grow out of them or get too experienced so they
hold you back. You just keep getting better, more capable and
faster...