[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Oct 27 06:10:36 MDT 2014

On 27 Oct 2014, at 10:52 pm, Bryan Kilgallin <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> So what readable, humorous on-line cartoon-book can you recommend? :-[

You’re right, there are none, apart from xkcd.

Unix/Linux is a ‘sharp tool’, it doesn’t have training wheels or safety guards.
The tools were developed by professionals, for professionals to expedite their work.
You’re expected to know how to use the tools and how to handle them.

I spent time and money doing tutorials and attending lectures, then learnt to read the Manual, Docs and when needed “Use The Source, Luke!”.
Unix/Linux does not lend itself to “trained monkey” or paint-by-numbers style teaching.

It’s a tool kit that you learn, and you need problems to apply it towards to learn.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin