[clug] Text editor

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 04:10:46 MDT 2014

On 26/10/14 19:03, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> That's installed, thanks! I like the displayed short-cuts at the bottom.

If you find the whole text/console thing a little disorientating you may
find "mc"[*1] useful (clone of Norton Commander?).

F4 will (usually) give you nano to edit the selected file.
"Ctrl+x" to abandon changes, "Alt+F2" to save changes.

"Alt+F2" will bring up the mc menu options for the selected file - very
useful to those that don't have an ingrained memory of hotkeys (and it
has trivially editable functions).

[*1] Midnight Commander. Lightweight dual pane file menu and system
navigator (and much, much more)..

> On 26/10/14 07:55, Ben Davies wrote:
>> Another option: you may also want to look at 'nano' for occasional
>> editing tasks. A lot of the shortcuts are just Ctrl-something. By
>> default, there are 2 lines of help text/shortcuts at the bottom,
>> including how to quit :-)
>>
>> On 26 October 2014 00:16, Bryan Kilgallin <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
>>> I had a look at geany. But I'm having enough trouble learning the
>>> control-underscore-squarebracket... of Vim!

Kind regards