[clug] Text editor

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 15:12:44 MDT 2014

On 25/10/14 23:56, Andrew Janke wrote:
> At the risk of starting a war...
>
> I'm a fan of geany, along with vim.

In a gui - kate for multiple files, kwrite for single files. Insane
(zen-like) support, auto braces, HTML export, VIM input mode, formatting
and indentation support for most language/scripting/source types,
support for editing remote file systems and syncing temp, etc.

Of course nano is far superior to vi, and emacs... [mmmhmmn, popcorn and
comfy chair] :D

> --
>
> Blunt thumbed on a touchscreen, expict mistooks
> On Oct 25, 2014 11:08 PM, "Bryan Kilgallin" <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I have been learning Vim via vimtutor. As recommended by Rute.
>>
>> Why in the 21st century, use a text-based editor? This reminds me of using
>> CP/M decades ago on a minicomputer.

And?

Do clickety, clickety, ribbon interface or no, WYSIWUG word processors
have any capability advantages over text-based text editors?
e.g. Libre Office Writer, M$ Word.

I can't think of anything they can do that vim cannot - whereas
vim/vi/emac can do much that "they" cannot. This being the result of
design for purpose.

>> Is it an exercise in industrial
>> archaeology, like learning to make cast-iron railway lines?

A tortured analogy? :)
AFAIK cast-iron railway lines haven't been improved on....

>> --
>> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/
>>
>> --

Kind regards

--
"Get off my astroturf" ~ progressive guy