[clug] Text editor

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 07:07:28 MDT 2014

Why would you use a word processor rather than a text editor if you're
only editing text (especially if it's software, or a config file,
etc.)?

A few suggestions:

* Having a console-based editor helps with SSH'ing sessions, quick
edits, for when X fails, etc.

* Haivng a customisable and extensible editor (like vi[m], emacs,
etc.) allows you to add functionality and change the editor to suite
how it works for you.

* If doing software development, in some cases a customised editor can
be preferable to an IDE (again with customisability, not needing all
the "power" an IDE offers) or can be used for languages where no IDE
exists but you want syntax highlighting, parens matching, indentation
support, etc.