[clug] Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 has destroyed Gnome customisation

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 02:48:07 MDT 2014

On 24 October 2014 18:25, jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> Great suggestion. I created another administrator account and logged in
> using that account. Here are the results:
>
> Gnome: This looks the same as my original account and I hate it. It
> looks very much like Unity. Yuk. I can't live with this.
>
> Gnome (Classic): The menus etc. were all mucked up like my original
> login. See original email content.
>
> Gnome(Compiz) and (Metaciy): I could see the menu options and this looks
> very similar to what I want. If I could customise this view I could use
> it.
>
> It would appear to me, and I'm very willing to listen to anyone who has
> alternative ideas, that my "auto-hide" of the top and bottom panel seems
> to not work in the new Compiz or Metacity Gnome. If I could configure
> either of these to make the auto-hide work, then I'll be on my way to
> having something that I can use. Any suggestions from this very
> knowledgeable list subscribers?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

IIUC, the Gnome Classic is a re-implementation (in that it looks and
acts similar, so not 100% functionality) of the layout of Gnome2 using
Mutter and Gnome3.  As such, previous configurations do not carry
over, but it might be possible to install gnome-tweak-tool and some
Gnome extensions to give you similar functionality.