[clug] Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 has destroyed Gnome customisation

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 24 01:25:06 MDT 2014

Hi Hal,

Great suggestion. I created another administrator account and logged in
using that account. Here are the results:

Gnome: This looks the same as my original account and I hate it. It
looks very much like Unity. Yuk. I can't live with this.

Gnome (Classic): The menus etc. were all mucked up like my original
login. See original email content.

Gnome(Compiz) and (Metaciy): I could see the menu options and this looks
very similar to what I want. If I could customise this view I could use
it.

It would appear to me, and I'm very willing to listen to anyone who has
alternative ideas, that my "auto-hide" of the top and bottom panel seems
to not work in the new Compiz or Metacity Gnome. If I could configure
either of these to make the auto-hide work, then I'll be on my way to
having something that I can use. Any suggestions from this very
knowledgeable list subscribers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John.