[clug] Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 has destroyed Gnome customisation

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 24 00:17:38 MDT 2014

Hi All,

I am totally p!$$ed off!

I have an eeePC with a 10.1" screen. About a month ago I upgraded from
Ubuntu LTS 12.04 to 14.04. In the process I stupidly answered "no" to
all the prompts to accept the default configuration hoping that all the
customisation of my Gnome windows - with many thanks to this list -
would be saved, but I lost almost everything that I like about Gnome.

I don't like Unity. I want a simple menu list with categories that I can
edit. During the upgrade I ended up with a stack of categories that I
don't want, don't know how to change and are so long that I can't see
the last few categories or their applicaions because they are off the
bottom of the screen. (I don't even know how to screen capture to show
this list the mess that I'm in.)

I also had the options at the top panel automatically hide itself so
that I can fully use the limited screen space. I also added my favourite
applications to the top panel eg. Midori, Evolution and ebReader. Those
options are now lost.

I also had the bottom panel automatically hide itself to fully use the
screen space but that option has gone. The bottom panel used to show
*all* the applications so that I could easily switch applications no
matter what window it was in. That option has now gone. I can only see
in the bottom panel the applications that apply to that window and not
the other windows.

Also, everything is slower! Showing and navigating through the menu
takes forever. Even changing windows seems to take a long time. It is
definitely slower than 12.04.

Finally, can someone please help me? I have installed "Window Manager
(gnome-session-flashback)" but when I login using "Metacity" or "Compiz"
I can't see my top or bottom panels. If I login using "Gnome (Classic)"
the top and bottom panels do not auto-hide. Can someone tell me how to:

- edit the menu categories and content
- auto hide the top and bottom panels
- show all the opened applications in the bottom panel
- change the windows navigation from Ctrl Alt up and down to Ctrl Alt
left and right
- make the operations faster and
- tell me what I should have done to not get myself into this mess when
I next upgrade Ubuntu LTS?

Totally p*$#ed off John.