[clug] Debian Jessie (Testing, ) "no installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources"

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Sat Oct 18 01:57:37 MDT 2014

    Thanks Tomasz, Scott.  That's quite a few things for me to read
up on and implement.

At Saturday, 18-10-2014 on 13:34 Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

All

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 10:58:31AM +1100, George at Clug wrote:
>     Tomasz,
> I wanted to install Cinnamon + Jessie, and I do not know how to do
> this without using the Jessie ISOs.
>  https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> If you know how and it is easy to describe, please list the steps.

Cinnamon is a desktop manager? if so there is a package set in jessie
repositories
many lines for 'apt-cache search cinnamon'

Personally I use wmaker , so I can't help you with cinnamon
configuration.

> Maybe it is as easy as editing /etc/apt/sources.list and changing
> wheezy to jessie, and then selecting Cinnamon to install  "apt-get
> install cinnamon" ?
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

What I did, to upgrade my wheezy desktop to jessie, was this:

0. I backed up all my data and critical system and application config
files to
an external HDD. Just in case.

1. Edited /etc/apt/sources.list to be like so:

deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ jessie main contrib
non-free
deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ jessie-updates main
contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

Note: Internode is my ISP, so choose a repository close to you. Debian
have a list of
available mirrors, but make sure your browse the chosen mirror and
find out what URL
leads to the root debian directory, as URL paths differ between
mirrors.

2. as root (or with sudo) I run 'apt-get update' to pull data from
repositories

3. as root (or with sudo) I run 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to upgrade the
distribution installation.
Much download and installing will happen.

4. as root as root (or with sudo) I run 'apt-get --purge autoremove'
to remove obsolete
and unnecessary packages and purge their configuration files

Caveats and disclaimers:

0. There is no easy downgrade path. Reinstall is the safest way to do
that.

1. jessie is NOT a stable distribution. It pulls packages from Sid
(unstable) after some
period of time, if there is no major bugs logged against the packages.
So, sometimes
things break. Until the package freeze process begins in
November/December this will
still be the case.

2. In my case it was fairly painless. Debian guys warn you if they
need to make deep
changes to config, so pay attention to that.

3. you might have to update/reconfigure xorg. can't help you there.
Don't know
your hardware

4. your mileage may vary due to older/closed  hardware. make use you
install
the relevant firmware packages.

5. this worked for me. Use at your own risk.

> George.

Tomasz

--
Tomasz M. Ciolek