[clug] Debian Jessie (Testing, ) "no installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources"

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:47:12 MDT 2014

On 17/10/14 22:03, Simon Oxwell wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> Jessie is still a bit alpha, isn't it?

Testing, not Unstable (or Experimental), about 3 weeks from the freeze
preparatory for becoming Stable (usually means approx. 4+ years of testing)
[no comment on the attempt to get a GR which will delay current work]

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_beta_2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-b2-amd64-netinst.iso

> but assuming you were doing a network install, the mirror
> you picked might not be mirroring anything past wheezy.

Can you expand on that please?

> Simon
>
> On 17 October 2014 21:53, George at Clug <Clug at goproject.info> wrote:
>
>>     Hi,
>>
>> I recently tried to install Debian Jess using VMware Workstation 10,
>> and the installation fails with the error "no installable kernel was
>> found in the defined APT sources". Has anyone else seen this issue ?
>>
>> I finally succeeded using the following suggestion from a web site.

If you are having problems *please* file a bug report so the problem can
be quickly fixed.

Ideally you'd read the release notes before installing:-
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2014/20141005

*And* the errata:-
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

The *first* place to check for support is debian.org

>> The solution I found was to let the installation continue (say Yes to
>> the message asking if you want to continue without installing a
>> kernel).

It sounds like you are using the 32-bit (multi-arch) installer instead
of the AMD64 installer. See the link further up this post.

HTH

Kind regards