[clug] Seeking FOSS Hypervisor and Management GUI

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Fri Oct 3 06:07:30 MDT 2014

I use LVM to flexibly split large disks into multiple partitions. I don't
use it to join disks, although it is capable. It multiplies your risk of
disk failure, however, as you can't count on anything working if a single
disk in an LVM partition fails.

I was running virtual servers to create a virtual DMZ to run email and web
services. Most recently was KVM, previously was UML and before that Xen.
Xen was pretty good isolation and performance-wise but not being part of
the mainline kernel means kernel updates randomly broke it. UML was fairly
short-lived. It's userspace and doesn't isolate guest processes all that
well although it is lightweight. Most happy with KVM, no complaints at all.

I have since decommissioned all my virtual servers and the DMZ so I
probably can't offer any more recent advice.