[clug] Seeking FOSS Hypervisor and Management GUI

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Wed Oct 1 00:56:48 MDT 2014

On 2014-10-01 04:37, George at Clug wrote:
> The virtualisation features that I want are a short list, just
> snapshots are an important item on the list, so Virt-Manager supports
> most of what I want to do, and with a few command line commands, my
> needs could be answered.  More experimentation and more experience
> will help me learn the limitations and reliability of Linux
> virtualisation.

Regarding snapshots, Docker gives you a version control style of
workflow where you can commit changes in a running container and it only
stores the diff:

https://docs.docker.com/articles/basics/#committing-saving-a-container-state

# Commit your container to a new named image
$ sudo docker commit <container_id> <some_name>

# List your containers
$ sudo docker images

Storing diffs instead of entire snapshots saves a lot of room and has
made working on an SSD laptop feasible for me.

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net