[clug] Serial communications between Atmel processors

David Austin david at d-austin.net
Fri Nov 14 20:59:45 MST 2014

Hi Paul,

With this sort of thing, I try to take lots of baby steps, relying on the
LEDs for the debug information at each step.  This means you need
simple go/no go tests in your code.

I'm not familiar with the Arduino libraries but my thoughts are:

1) do you need to set up the serial port output pin as an output?
2) write a simple test for one device that repeatedly writes a
    char to the serial port and flashes the LED when it does so
3) You could try a modified version of 2 and without delay
     and try chars 0x00 and 0xFF - I'd expect your multimeter
     may be able to see the DC or AC voltage that results (compare/
     contrast with the DC/AC voltage of the LED).
4) write a simple receive test for the other device that flashes
    a led when it receives any char & connect to the first
    device

Then (and only then) try more complex things with states and such.

David