[clug] Video Card Upgrade

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 1 14:34:10 MDT 2014

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 23:08:08 Paul Rands wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> This is the first time I've upgraded video hardware on a Linux machine,
> and wondering if it's a case of just chucking the card in and the OS
> does the rest or do I need to fart around with it?

If your Linux is using KMS (most do ?) then chuck the card in and at least the
primary display should just work.

> The video card was given to me today, and it's this model
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121498

Have used the Gigabyte version of this card at another site.  ISTR that it
would allow only VGA plus one of the digital outputs to be used
simultaneously.  Nevertheless that would give you dual screens.

Newer cards allow all three outputs simultaneously.

> Hoping it will do the job well for dual screens and a few other
> niceties. Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Rod