[clug] Raspberry Pi WLAN issues

Stephen Gibson Stephen.Gibson at anu.edu.au
Tue May 27 18:24:07 MDT 2014

Not an IP camera, just the raspberry pi camera board (better than my
Aldi Onix phone camera).
Yes, follow your ideas and use the Rpi. The sensors are cheap and
trivial to monitor.

I purchased the 1-wire sensors from dealextreme (aud.dx.com):

  http://aud.dx.com/product/ds18b20-digital-temperature-sensor-module-for-arduino-55-125-c-961135047#.U4UpdHIt-Tw

US$3.36

These are plug and play(*) (no additional resistor requires = sort of
cheating). Just connect to GPIO4 (and 5V, ground), load the modules
w1-gpio  and w1-therm, and cat /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-xxxxxx/w1_slave
(where xxxxxxxx = your sensor). Use python code to read, average, and plot.

I am still waiting on the humidity sensor:

http://aud.dx.com/product/temperature-humidity-sensor-dht11-module-for-arduino-deep-blue-works-with-official-arduino-board-961288612#.U4Uq1nIt-Tw

(US$3.30)

Steve.

(*) I did manage to abuse this sensor, the 3 connections are not
labelled and I missed the w1-therm module, and so tried reversing the
power. This generated some heat. The sensor still operates, but appears
to have lost its absolute calibration.