[clug] how to use traceroute (now: iinet performance)

Jessica Smith jessica at itgrrl.com
Thu Jun 26 09:48:19 MDT 2014

Another data point...

iiNet residential NBN FTTP 25/5Mbps while partner is playing COD (online
multiplayer) - connected over wifi from laptop:

$ curl -O http://ftp.iinet.net.au/test100MB.dat
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 95.3M  100 95.3M    0     0  2813k      0  0:00:34  0:00:34 --:--:--
2900k

FWIW, speedtest.net shows 23.99/4.36Mbps with 4ms ping time. We have the
(very) occasional outage, but when it's working it's pretty close to
theoretical maximums. I've done no optimisation on laptop or router,
although I had to upgrade the router when we first switched to FTTP (now
running a Netgear WNDR4500) as the old router didn't have enough grunt to
handle the throughput.

To sum up: if you have any way of getting FTTP, do it.

Cheers,

Jessica