[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: business process stops for 1-2 days

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Jul 30 15:18:53 MDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 10:08:39PM +0000, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
> For my backup of digital camera photos and movies I compute md5sums for
> each file using this little utility:
> https://github.com/carlohamalainen/checker
>
> It has shown me that in the last month or 78 files have changed for some
> unknown reason. Good thing I have an earlier snapshot to compare to.

Ouch. This is one of my worries: that my files are rotting away under
me.  What I'd like is a tool that can generate backup blocks like par2
and verify them.  It looks like par2 might actualy be able to do this,
but what I'd like is some integration into photo management programs so
they'd automatically get checksummed the moment they come off the
camera, and verified every time you open it.  Does anyone know a
program that does that?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer