[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: (now mainly closed source stuff)

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:31:11 MDT 2014

On 29/07/14 11:48, Paul Rands wrote:

> I am user of Apple's OS X and Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> I like both
> experiences, and there are still workflow issues I can't resolve with
> addons with Ubuntu sadly.

Which specific issues?

> I have used Android and iOS and definitely
> prefer the latter and its integration with OS X. Much less clunkier
> experience. What I do find annoying that Android phone producers don't
> provide a Linux based phone manager and the Sony one for example doesn't
> work with Wine.

I have no problems using native Linux apps (e.g. kio-mtp) to access
Android. If you can provide details perhaps someone will provide a
working solution and make your expressed concerns productive.

Does Apple provide *any* Linux based support for interacting with their
products? (the answer is no)

Note that Google do provide API and filesystem access to Android for
linux - whether Ubuntu make use of it is a separate issue (I use
Ubuntu's upstream so I don't have an opinion in the matter).

> I am trying to work with Wine under OSX at the moment
> and the experience is not as good as using it under Ubuntu. Been having
> issues with connecting to the internet with the one Windows app I want
> to retain.

Check with WINEHQ for support - if it doesn't support the level of
functionality to meet your "fit for purpose" then you should consider
using VirtualBox (you can configure it to launch a single application so
it appears as if it were a native app).

> The thing I have learnt, is that I can unlock myself from
> Apple more easily than from Microsoft, simply because I can find
> software to replicate what I use in OSX, and Wine fills the hole for 4
> other Windows versions of Mac apps.

*cough* iTunes *cough*
:)

> At the moment, I'm leaning towards
> going back to OS X as my main OS, simply because I've had enough of
> video bugs with my Intel display chipset

Did you mention that because you wish to resolve those issues[*1]?
If so - what issues are those (and)?

Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

What is your video chipset? Please post the output of:-
lshw -class display
or
lspci |grep VGA

and
lsmod

[*1]
FOSS relies on the user to let developers know what is required (e.g.
reportbug) - in most cases, if you take the time to thoughtfully compose
your request, you'll find active support. *This list* is also a good
place to find support. Plenty of knowledgeable and supportive Ubuntu
users here.

> and the better workflow for
> maintaining my web site within finder, using file colours etc.

File colours?
The ability to customise the colour of directory and/or files in a file
manager? If so that's certainly possible with KDE (Dolphin) - I use it
extensively. Assigning custom colours to files is not something I know
how to do with Dolphin (I doubt it's currently possible).

> It's a
> simple thing,

So it may appear when unencumbered by the knowledge of how these things
work ;p

> but I can't replicate it under Ubuntu, and Marlin has too
> many bugs to be reliable, which has the feature.
>
> --
> Paul
> Rands
> lists at paulrands.com
>
> On 2014-07-29 08:24, steve jenkin wrote:
>

> On 28 Jul 2014, at 4:51 pm, Hal Ashburner <hal at ashburner.info> wrote:

Please don't top post. That mouse can easily be moved so your response
is below the material you are responding to. Making readers skip up and
down a post to determine context doesn't motivate help.

Kind regards