[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: business process stops for 1-2 days

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 27 19:01:12 MDT 2014

On 27/07/14 16:26, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I'm biased against Apple/Closed source, and most of my experience with
> Time Machine is when I've had to recover backups (using rsync) when it's
> eaten clients backups :(    (see attached for the most common TM fail)

I notice in jwz's article, referenced by Hal, that he implicitly doesn't
endorse Time Machine, even as somewhat of a Mac Fanboy himself (and
what he has to say about Window's users doesn't bear repeating... maybe
a case of residual bitterness after the Browser wars...). I like how
jwz ends his article - even if I don't agree with it to the letter...

I completely agree (with Scott) that relying on a proprietry system to
backup data that is valuable enough to be backed up is a bad solution.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.