[clug] Story: Fijian Resort complex loses a single disk: business process stops for 1-2 days

Edward Lang edlang at edlang.org
Sun Jul 27 04:58:47 MDT 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Scott Ferguson <
scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:

> hasty reply, will surely contain schoolboy howlers :/
>
> On 27/07/14 07:56, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> > On 26 Jul 2014, at 23:48, Scott Ferguson
> > <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Again - that verifies the backup, not the reliablity. Counting the
> >> bottles you store on the nature strip isn't laying down a cellar
> >> for your future ;p
> >
> > So how do you verify the media when the media is, say, a USB hard
> > drive?
>
> AFAIK you can't (or I have included verification method examples with
> the others in the previous post).... you can only verify failure, which
> is of limited use. Spinning magnetic media is only slightly less
> problematic (SMART is not reliable for predicting failure with
> small numbers of drives).

I've not used it, nor seen it used this way, but would something like
Jenkins assist in this? As per:

http://blog.vuksan.com/2011/08/22/using-jenkins-as-a-cron-server/comment-page-1/

The concept doesn't seem too far away from the goal.

Edward.

--

http://edlang.org/