[clug] how to talk

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Sun Jul 13 04:30:15 MDT 2014

Espeak works to send a robotic voice message if that's your thing.

notify-send does the notification window thing. I don't know if this
is what you have in mind but I have a "next bus" notifying shell
script that just uses date to get the time and looks up a table and
echoes to stdout "Next bus in 23 minutes, one after in 56" or
something equally poetic.

Then I have a crontab entry like so:
09,22,27,39,50,57 17-21 * * 1-5 DISPLAY=:0 notify-send -u critical -t
15000 "$(/home/hal/bin/next_bus)"  > /dev/null 2>&1

This has worked really well so I've not become used to completely
ignoring the notification windows in the evening when I'm
concentrating and don't actually manage to get home at reasonable
times any more often than before. The wider point is that I spent time
to have a script and it flashes crap at me so as long as I find time
to re-write it in haskell it'll be a perfect solution.