[clug] AEC denies FOI request to source code of 'EasyCount' for counting Senate votes.

rdenholm at pcug.org.au rdenholm at pcug.org.au
Mon Jul 7 23:56:35 MDT 2014

> The AEC's trade-secret claim for the senate counting algorithm doesn't
> hold up to scrutiny, I think.
>
> The way the senate votes are to be counted is laid down in the electoral
> act. The program is merely an implementation of that.

I suggest a more likely cause is most government bureaucracies do not yet
understand the security through obscurity is not secure.  Very hard to
break cultural mores especially as last 20+ years of governments have
increased their desire for secret anythings as opposed to demanding all
citizens have no privacy.

Roger the cynic