[clug] Offline snooping [now lame telephone scammers]

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 20:09:27 MST 2014

On 01/02/14 13:44, Ben Davies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While I think of it, has anyone been rung out of the blue by an
> "investment company" asking if they've received a package recently?
>
> Someone claiming to be from "Monash Investments" called around xmas,
> so I was wondering if another large scale scam was starting up...
>
> Ben

Nope, but it sounds dodgy - even if they are one of the companies that
use that name. Hey! we're so organised we don't know where we post stuff
- but invest your super/trust/time with us? (package?).

So do the plague of SMS messages I get like:-
Kick start 2014 strong with a FAST unsecured business loan with
NOChance. Call us NOW on 130076*9#@ for more info. To Opt-out for free,
reply STOP to 041911*9#@

are like totally legit, not just some scam to sucker you out of
"approval fees". I don't even bother trying to reply to the STOP number
as I'm convinced it'll just confirm to the boiler room that I respond,
and I'll get more scamspam quicker than you can say Wonga Why Worry.

Kind regards