[clug] Offline snooping

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Jan 30 20:36:41 MST 2014

On 01/31/2014 01:17 PM, steve jenkin wrote:
> They pretended to be from Telstra Bigpond ("your Internet access is about to be cut-off"),
> from Windows Technical Support ("you have some malware on your computer")
> and from somewhere else in Microsoft. ("you have to install an update").

oh. Wow. Really? You're seeing that from my computer? right now? hang on
a sec
<cover handset and have muffled conversation about traffic interception>

Hi, still there? Can I confirm you actually saw the traffic come from
the computer? You did? Ok. hang a sec

<cover handset and have another muffled conversation about this>

Still There? Great. Look, I'm going to need your interception
enforcement tracking number. We need to escalate this, because that
traffic should never have been seen. Yeah, IET number, used by law
enforcement to track any wiretaps or traffic interception. You should
have one if you're seeing that sort of traffic profile, especially from
this particular computer. That's the whole reason we have IETNs,
afterall, to stop people freaking out about the traffic we produce when
we're going after a targeted individual. Should start with 3 digits, two
hex characters, be about 16 characters total? I'll need yours and your
supervisors details so that I can get this sorted out.
Hello?
Hello?

I haven't had a call back since.