[clug] Offline snooping

Ben Davies bdcrux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 20:56:58 MST 2014

On 31 January 2014 13:17, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> As well, I've had 10-20 phone calls from an Indian call centre trying to scam me. Not sure what the scam was, I never allowed them to "close the deal". It may have only been a $175 charge on my credit card, or a lot more.
>
> They pretended to be from Telstra Bigpond ("your Internet access is about to be cut-off"),
> from Windows Technical Support ("you have some malware on your computer")
> and from somewhere else in Microsoft. ("you have to install an update").

We got a number of calls from the "win tech support" scammers in late
2010 (including several in one day), and then it dropped off. It
started up more sporadically in mid 2012, so I baited and aggravated
them mercilessly until the calls stopped :-D   I assumed those Indian
tech support scams had dropped off (or our number was flagged as a
waste of time).

How recently were the scammers ringing you?

Ben