[clug] booting linux from SD card

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Jan 26 15:55:48 MST 2014

I have this new laptop which is native windows 8.1. I installed Fedora 20
on an SD card (the laptop has a socket), after which the system did *not*
boot from it.

However, looking at the BIOS boot menu I see the first entry in the boot
order is now:
	1. Fedora
Naturally, this entry was not there before.

Interestingly, removing the SD card, and even inserting different media,
does not change this entry.

Where does this BIOS entry come from? I can see that inserting a USB disk
makes it show up in the boot order:
	1. Fedora
	2. USB-DISK: SanDisk Cruiser FIT
	3. ...
but when it is removed the entry goes away:
	1. Fedora
	2. USB-DISK:
	3. ...

I always assumed that the boot order menu lists what it can actually see,
but this is clearly not the case here.

So again: where does the Fedora BIOS entry come from?

TIA

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)