[clug] Search engines

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 01:18:01 MST 2014

On 04/01/14 11:24, Keith Sayers wrote:
> On Monday 30 December 2013 bc (?) intoned warningly :
>
>>  Not that I'd use DuckDuckGetAway either, even if I trusted their
>>  marketing speil I *know* not to trust the guy that runs it (his
>>  previous venture made Ffffacebook look like privacy freaks).
>
>      Hmmm.  Would you know anything of Mamma

Formerly "The Mother Of All Search Engines". Bought Copernic. Copernic
relies on M$ for much of their income. Pretty good at searching data
hosted by Empressario/AdNet (their own digital media network). Not so
good at searching the rest of the web.

Gets most of it's results from scraping about a dozen other search engines.

Put's advertised links (classified ads) at the top of search results.
Apparently that's a bad thing :/
Due to Moms "voting" system duplicated sites have an elevated ranking,
this has led to some dissatisfaction with Mom as it tends to favour
content scrapers over originality.

http://www.e2canada.com/technology-companies-of-canada/copernic-inc
http://www.copernic.com/en/company/privacy/

Mark "only bet on an inside favourite" Cuban's baby almost made a
fortune from them.

> which I have been using for some
> time as my first-choice?  It is not always successful and then I usually resort
> to Google though I have tried DuckDuckGo.

Whatever gets you the results you're happy with.