[clug] Running my own dynamic DNS?

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at acslink.net.au
Tue Feb 25 13:57:27 MST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:26:17PM +1100, Paul Wayper wrote:

> On 25/02/14 23:10, Andrew Steele wrote:
> > I can't see how you could run your own dynamic dns as you have a bit of
> > a catch-22. Where is your SOA going to reside?  I would imagine you'd
> > need to have that hosted somewhere with a fixed IP address (not at home),
> > and then that would be where you're dynamic dns update server (for want
> > of a better name) would reside.
>
> Well, I do have mabula.net already, as a static IP address which hosts my
> main website.  So "home.mabula.net" as a dynamic DNS record would be
> perfectly reasonable there.

I run a dynamic DNS at home, but it's not visible from outside. Would my config
files be of any help to you Paul?

If *you* want to make your systems externally visible, then since you have a
potentially visible domain name I imagine all you'd have to do is persuade your
ISP to propgate the DNS information that your system with the static IP is the
authoritative server for mabula.net.

Cheers ... Duncan.