[clug] raid question

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Wed Feb 19 23:22:51 MST 2014

Thanks Steve,

While not extremely expensive, this disk is not a cheap one either. I run raid6 so that
I can futz with one disk and still have redundancy, so I do not need a disk on the shelf
(as I did when I used raid5).

One reallocated sector is unlikely to be acceptable for RMA (the disk is early into its
5y warranty). I had such disks that continued to work for many years until replaced
still in working order.

Reallocation is OK and it does not scare me at all, but I do want to understand why the
software raid does not trigger an i/o error when directly accessing a member of the
array does. I can see how simply reading the fs over the array can miss the bad sector
(checksums do not need to be read, maybe there is an option to request this?) but not
how a specific 'check' request misses it.

cheers
	Eyal

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)