[clug] Full Circle

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Dec 29 20:41:47 MST 2014

I read Issue #8 of this Ubuntu magazine.
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue8_en.pdf

A Christmas theme permeated the how-to, question-and-answer, and games &
applications sections.

School computers in Macedonia ran Edubuntu. And there was a LAN party in
the Netherlands.

The Editorial praised the magazine's survival.

An article reported a customised build for a sub-notebook.

Anti-piracy software was discontinued--because it infringed copyright!

A Firefox development was reported. There was an Ubuntu version update.
And an improved KDE version would be released.

There was lots of how-to advice. So an amply illustrated article
instructed on installing Mythbuntu. Securely using a Windows installer
for Ubuntu was described. Christmas wallpaper themes were shown for
various desktop environments. An article instructed on formatting a
drive, and installing multiple operating systems, with a boot loader.
The section on a page layout program--surprised me with the quirks of
exporting as PDF! And an article explained installing a package manager.

An article was on the Tomboy note manager. This seems well-organised. It
even works with hyperlinks! And it can do date-reminders.

There was a rant about limited availability of commercial games for
Linux. The author wanted Linux promoted to increase its market share.

An entomological analogy compared open and closed source philosophies.
The author wanted the former to beat off the latter!

The youth section recommended Linux/Ubuntu merchandise. While another
group promoted women.

Letters are on Scribus, upgrading and more advanced users. Other letters
mention mistakes, and an Ubuntu installer for Windows.

I liked a reader's wallpaper photo of a cliff.

The magazine ended with a request for contributions.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/