[clug] Sourceforge Project Sleepyhead

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Thu Dec 25 22:03:27 MST 2014

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 09:08:17 AM Craig Small wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 09:45:24PM +1100, Keith Goggin wrote:
> > Now if your not completely fed up, is there an easy way to tell what I
> > installed but didn't need?
I don't know of any "easy" way.
> > The reason I want to know is I want to write it up for other Linux users
> > of
> > Sleepyhead who like me were told it works in Linux but your on your own to
> > build it.
>
> The two way I've seen or used:
> You basically ldd all the libraries and binaries it creates. Try to find
> those libraries with things like dpkg -S
>
> Second way is you setup a pbuilder or something like this. Then only
> install what you need until it compiles.
>
> The first way is easier, but much less accurate.
> The second way is, to an extent, very accurate. It's basically what
> is recommended for Debian packagers. In that case you have to be
> accurate to update the control file so the automatic builders of the
> package for other architectures install the right thing.
If "to an extent" means "sufficient but perhaps not minimal". The problem is
that you might add something that you believe you need, but don't. For
example, qtserialport is provided in the download, so you may not need that.
In this case, it looks like the .pro file for the third party stuff is broken,
so maybe you do.

Two more options:
 - have a close look at the linker lines (i.e. the ones with -lsomething),
then find the corresponding -dev package for each something.
- don't worry about getting it 100% - just note what you did, add a disclaimer
about that list possibly including stuff that isn't required, and move on. If
someone else has a different opinion, they can send a patch.

Brad