[clug] openVZ VPSes

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 02:30:13 MST 2014

On 16/12/14 18:41, jm wrote:
> Been meaning to ask the list about their experiences with openVZ hosting
> (as a client not a provider). This method of host VPSes seems to be
> priced more cheaply than the  Xen, and VMware with which I'm more
> familiar. I've not used containers for hosting before. How does openVZ
> differ from these?

You don't get bare metal. It's kernel virtualization rather than
paravirtualisation or hardware.

> I don't believe you get console access, so what do
> you do if your ssh daemon locks up or need to reboot?

You 'can' get console access - possibly dependent on your hosting provider.
The proliferation of one-click-and-you-can-sell Promox openVZ 'possibly'
attracts a "different range" of VPS hosting "experiences" - so do shop
around if you don't find what you're looking for - and compare it to $5
- $15pm for quality, non-SLA, Australian-located xen VPS deals before
you decide it's a great thing(TM).

> Anything else I
> should look out for?

That would be dependent on "what" you plan to do with your VPS. Probably
quality of service? A proven track record and a company located within
your (and the local law's) reach might also be a good idea if you plan
on paying with credit card and/or hosting anything of any importance
(given the ease with which your kernel can be compromised and other
reasons.)

> Good/bad experiences?

I don't mind it, simpler to administer, usage for general web hosting is
basically indistinguishable from KVM or xen performance.

> Jeff.

Kind regards