[clug] MFP Printers

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 04:37:59 MST 2014

On 12 December 2014 at 11:20, Michael James <michael at james.st> wrote:
> The 2nd is an HP2510 Multi Function printer/scanner/copier/fax.
> All proprietary drivers, they stopped producing the updates 4 iterations of MacOS ago.
> I can only scan using Vuescan (a brilliant piece of software, never regretted buying it).
> Expensive cartridges, hard to refill. No more HPs for me.

Indeed, prior to this I also had a series of HP devices. Driver
support was good for the more simple devices but rather lack-lustre
for MFD's. I think I used gscan2pdf on my last HP doovie via USB.

> The Fuji Xerox cm305df sounds interesting...

It is, I've heard nothing but good reports about them (as in the
printer itself, not linux support!) I personally know 4 people with
them and none have had an issue. Ours cops a flogging in the home
office and so far so good. We have just about every OS in our place at
home and its primary printing use is via OSX, linux support for my
laptop masquerading as a desktop was a bonus. The only downer is that
the thing is a bit massive!

I have no link with this online mob but I think it's where I bought mine.

   http://www.buyprinters.com.au/fuji-xerox-docuprint-cm305df-printer.html

Note that if you bide your time they seem to go on special with a 3
year instead of 1 year warranty. Note that knock-off toner can be also
had from this site for $20 each. Unlike other printer brands I've not
had a trouble with non-OEM toner in this one.

My one niggle is that I can't figure out how to make the scanner
default to sending files via SMB (in my case to /tmp permission 777),
so it takes about 3 button presses. It will also scan direct to a USB
stick which is handy at times. Everything else seems to just work,
duplex, reporting toner levels, n-up, colour/monochrome/etc, comes
from using the OSX PPD I guess.