[clug] Recommendations or warnings about using USB OTG flash drives in normal PC's and laptops?

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Dec 4 14:00:54 MST 2014

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 20:47:10 +1100, Chris Smart
<clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/14 19:20, steve jenkin wrote:
> > I’ve only just noticed these devices on the market, and that they’ll both plug into tablets/smartphones and PC’s.
> >
> > Apart from the microUSB connector, are there any operational problems or differences I should know about or research?
>
> This wikipedia article should be helpful in explaining what USB OTG is:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go
>
> You need a handset that has hardware support for OTG if you want to use
> a flash drive with it.

Note the section on "OTG micro cables".  I just have one of these, so I
can plug in into my USB OTG-supported phone and just plug any flash
drive into the other end.  They can be bought for ~$5.  I've bought
them from both dx.com and i-tech.com.au (when offered with free
shipping).

peace & happiness,
martin