[clug] Linux and City News Canberra

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 8 18:21:42 MDT 2014

On 09/04/14 09:05, matt andrews wrote:
> On 8 April 2014 14:51, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bob
>>

>> http://citynews.com.au/2014/open-source-gives-new-life-old-windows-xp-machines/
>>
>> (originally published in The Conversation)
>>

> And here's the original The Conversation piece, with 78 comments and
> counting.
>
> (looking good in the bio pic, Bob!)
>
> http://theconversation.com/open-source-gives-new-life-to-old-windows-xp-machines-2531
> <http://theconversation.com/open-source-gives-new-life-to-old-windows-xp-machines-25317>

Thanks Matt, good to hear from you.

Some may know that I refuse to authenticate (provide identity related
information) to U.S. based information systems, on principle, for the
past 5 years or so. And that I am cautious about other transborder
(external jurisdiction) server locations.

In this case, "The Conversation" appear to have their servers located
in the Netherlands, whereas citynews.com.au is located either in LA
(more likely) or West Virginia - either way, in the U.S.

I didn't actually sign up for "The Conversation" - someone else did it
on my behalf in order to accept the article for publication (and they
scraped my un-bearded photo from my ANU home page). I am not actually
familiar with the privacy laws of the Netherlands, but I'd be surprised
if they differentiated between foreigners and local citizens, like the
U.S. laws do.

Anyway, just thought I'd say.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.