[clug] Linux and City News Canberra

bryan at netspeed.com.au bryan at netspeed.com.au
Tue Apr 8 04:40:27 MDT 2014

 Ian:

> However, from within the CLUG community there would be more that
> enough expertise to provide basic guidance in making the transition
>  if there were sufficient will to make it happen.
The "sufficient will" represents a cost. And that is a hurdle to be
overcome.

> After all how     different is Linux Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop
> box from a Windows     XP box from the Desktop Computer users
> perspective for example.
There is an argument that "best" means "everybody does it".
So for example:
      * eating McDonald's;
      * driving Ford; and
      * praying Catholic.
To the conventionally-minded then, adopting Linux would seem as
unconventional as voting for Bob Katter's party!

> I don't attend CLUG Meetings because they are too technical for me
> and therefore of no real interest.
I know of a technical club that denies public access yet complains of
inadequate participation!

>  Stick a tutorial in how to     better secure a LAMP server on the
> agenda however and I would be     there in a heart beat.

My experience in tertiary education was that the introductory courses
had the biggest enrollment!

> The second     shot would be to put together an "Install Fest" type
> event supported     by a help line facility which could readily be
> communicated via the     same media that suggested the transition in
> the first place.
That would involve significant cost. Whereas this club minimises cost.
In my opinion, taking on responsibilities ends up generating
bureaucratic hassle!

>  Mr and     Mrs Public might just take notice and make the transition.

I once divided the total campaign advertising spend of the parties by
the number of electable politicians. This demonstrated for an ACT
election, that on average electing a candidate cost the same as a
house!

> Having spent some 6 hours a couple of days ago ridding my daughters
>  laptop of the "PC Tools Virus" which had woven it's evil tendrils
> throughout the windows registry I am at a loss to understand why any
>   one uses this MS rubbish but of course they do because they don't
>  realise there is an alternative.
Suppose that north and south Korea were to merge, as east and west
Germany did. The cost of adjusting social institutions and retraining
a populace--would exceed the cost of building factories!

> Only Linux users can reverse that     perception.

That's saying it won't happen.