[clug] Linux and City News Canberra

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 8 04:10:29 MDT 2014

On 08/04/14 18:57, bryan at netspeed.com.au wrote:
>  Scott:
>> A good opportunity for CLUG to offer a community service "Make the
>> transition from Windows XP to Linux and extend the life of your existing
>> Hardware"
> There is a difference between marketing and production. Novices will
> want a structured tutorial.
>
> Whereas the recent club meetings have been relatively informal. And
> also I think scarily technical from beginners' perspective.
Correct!!!..... In there, "lies the rub", to coin a phrase. However,
from within the CLUG community there would be more that enough expertise
to provide basic guidance in making the transition if there were
sufficient will to make it happen.  After all how different is Linux
Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop box from a Windows XP box from the
Desktop Computer users perspective for example. I would suggest very
little providing users don't have to "jump through hoops" to make
hardware work which these days just doesn't happen.  Stuff just works.

I am a non technical, non IT industry Linux user of almost 10 years
vintage.  I don't even notice the operating system I use any more 'cos
it just works.  When family or friends visit and want to use a computer
they do so on a Linux box and no one ever asks how to do X, Y or Z. They
just use the computer.  It really isn't any different from what the use
every day at home or work.

I don't attend CLUG Meetings because they are too technical for me and
therefore of no real interest.  Stick a tutorial in how to better secure
a LAMP server on the agenda however and I would be there in a heart beat.

 From the marketing perspective, the first shot has already been fired
and quite eloquently I might add in this article.  The second shot would
be to put together an "Install Fest" type event supported by a help line
facility which could readily be communicated via the same media that
suggested the transition in the first place.  Mr and Mrs Public might
just take notice and make the transition.

Having spent some 6 hours a couple of days ago ridding my daughters
laptop of the "PC Tools Virus" which had woven it's evil tendrils
throughout the windows registry I am at a loss to understand why any one
uses this MS rubbish but of course they do because they don't realise
there is an alternative.  Only Linux users can reverse that perception.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Ian B