[clug] People save my bacon again!

Paul Warren pwarren at pwarren.id.au
Fri Sep 13 00:59:09 CEST 2013

On 10/09/13 21:40, Paul Wayper wrote:
> *grumble brumble not enough bacon* oh, sorry, where was I?
>
> Ah, yes.  We've got a couple of people who've offered to talk on
> Thursday night:
>
> Andreas Fischer will be giving a high-level overview of the
> networking code in the game he's working on.  He'll talk about the
> API, Doxygen, test driven development and amusing anecdotes about
> Peter Miller :-)
>
> Paul Warren will be talking about his rtl-entropy code, available
> at:
>
> https://github.com/pwarren/rtl-entropy
>
> He'd also like to ask for a code review and with help on the crypto
> side of things.
>
> Thanks to Andreas and Paul for volunteering at short notice!
>
> And I was going to fill in with a bit about some variable length
> coding schemes, for the maths and number geeks out there :-)  We'll
> see if that's necessary - I think there'll be plenty of interesting
> programming stuff to talk about already.
>
> Thursday night, 7PM, at room N101 at ANU.  Email the list if you
> need to know more!
>
> Have fun,
>
> Paul

Thanks for listening :)

There's lots more info on rtl-sdr stuff at

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

They've a list of known compatible USB sticks. The best place I've found
to buy them is: http://www.nooelec.com/store/

I have a few suggestions on what to improve (Move stuff out of
main(), thanks Bob!)

any contributions will be helpful, I've not done C coding for many
years, and have little knowledge of what is cryptographically bad about
the entropy my code produces!

In regards to EFI booting that a guy asked about (Sorry, I don't
remember your name!) on my macbook air. The debian 7 install ISOs come
with an EFI bootloader, so if you boot the image via EFI, it'll
automatically install grub2 in EFI mode.

To change from rEFIt or similar bios emulation, follow something like:
http://mennucc1.debian.net/macbook_linux_efi.html

Which amounts to, installing grub-efi-amd64 (or grub-efi on i386), and
making a vfat partition, mounted at /efi, copying the right stuff in,
and rebooting :)

Here's another howto for reference:
http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/blog/article51/debian-efi

Cheers