[clug] Firefox default profiles directory.

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Thu Oct 24 19:18:27 MDT 2013

I tried this one only to find the mozilla.cfg method of locking
preferences doesn't seem to work with 24.0 I have left some messages on
a few blogs and am going to verify its failure at home tonight. If it is
not working I will log a bug report on it.

But the preferences you mentioned seem likely to be specifically for the
migration wizard and I am not sure they will help in this case, even if
I could get the mozilla.cfg method working.

For the moment, to get this up and running I am going to use Kim,
Bretts' suggestion. Though I have modified the run-mozilla.sh script to
shift the $HOME to $HOME/.ff24.

It's a shonk I know and what I should really be doing is compiling up a
custom firefox myself as it seems the source is the real place I need to
modify for this.

But it will do for my purposes.

And to answer why not just create a new profile? The users are "Power
Users" (note the quotes) and I want to prevent accidental upgrading of
application specific profiles that already exist. Running 24.0 on some
of these application profiles may make them unusable for the firefox
version specific to the application. I am trying to minimize the risk by
isolating the versions from each other.

Anyway, Thanks for everyone help.. Much appreciated.

Randall Crook