[clug] Linux Format has forked - introducing Linux Voice!

Daniel Black daniel.subs at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 21 13:13:45 MST 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Linux Format has forked - introducing Linux Voice!
Date: 	Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:23:28 +0000
From: 	Andrew Gregory <andrewjamesgregory83 at googlemail.com>

Hi Paul, Chris and Daniel (and the rest of the Canberra LUG),

I'm writing to let you know that the editorial team behind Linux Format
has quit, and is in the process of launching a rival Linux magazine
called Linux Voice.

http://www.linuxvoice.com/hello-linux-format-and-tuxradar-readers/

Linux Voice will cover most of the same content as Linux Format, with
many of the same writers, but it will be different in three key areas:

1/ We'll give 50% of our profits back to community groups and
organisations supporting free software. Admittedly our profits won't be
massive at first, but if we achieve even half the success that Linux
Format did (and maybe we will after a couple of years) we'll be able to
contribute quite a bit of cash.

2/ After no longer than 9 months, we'll relicense old content under the
Creative Commons CC-BY-SA licence, so teachers, LUGs, students and
anybody else can take, copy and improve upon our work for their own ends.

3/ We won't be owned by a bunch of hedge funds, like Linux Format is
(http://www.futureplc.com/investors/major-shareholders/), so we'll be
free from corporate interference. Free to do the best job we possibly can.

If you could let your members know what we're doing, we'd be most
grateful. And if anyone there is a Linux Format reader, please direct
them to www.indiegogo.com/projects/linux-voice
<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linux-voice> so they can see what
we're up to.

Thanks,