[clug] Portable computing options?

Carlo Hamalainen carlo at carlo-hamalainen.net
Tue Nov 19 01:15:32 MST 2013

On 18/11/13 13:24, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:

> I recently switched from a huge R500 Thinkpad to a little X1 Carbon
> ultrabook because I'm doing more travelling this year. I couldn't find
> much else in the ~1.5kg range.

And I forgot to mention that Lenovo's standard price is a bit excessive
but every few weeks they do a sale on laptops, e.g. right now the X1
Carbon is reduced from $2149 to $1599 and they'll throw in a tablet
(IdeaTab) for $1 as well.

The downside with these sales is that you can't change the system
configuration, e.g. different ram or SSD. A friend recently bought a
T540 Thinkpad with all the options and he used a US-based reseller who
buy from Lenovo, add the bits, and then post it out to Australia. Works
out cheaper if you need all the bells and whistles. I can dig up the
link if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

--
Carlo Hamalainen