[clug] Portable computing options?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Nov 17 22:17:13 MST 2013

I have used both iPad+keyboard and MacBook Air for:
- Travel blogging
- programming
- writing
- photography workflow (camera to Flikr)
- a bunch of other stuff

The short version: if you are doing a lot of typing and need a shell, use the laptop. A tablet plus keyboard gives you the worst of both worlds.

I have not run Linux on a laptop for a long time, my last experience involved breaking a laptop when Linux and the motherboard didn't agree on how to hibernate/wake correctly.

But that I digress.

The only use I have for a tablet over an ultra book is reading, and for that there are many options both lighter than The Art Of Computer Programming and cheaper than an iPad Air.

Alex Satrapa | Ph: 0407 705 332