[clug] ATX r pi

Rodney rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Sun Nov 17 14:34:54 MST 2013

I like (and use) that general approach.

I have a pi B running as a firewall/router and power it via an old 2.5 A
powered USB 1.1 hub.  12 Mb/s is adequate for my modem & WAP via USB/Ethernet
adapters.  I do have a modern USB 2.0 powered hub having a 2 A plugpack, but
reserve that for my low wattage desktop, which has only 4 USB ports.

Hardware specs for the pi are hard to come by.  Archlinux suggest that the
model B can draw 1200 mA at full tach & pi are known to crash/lock on
inadequate power.  Archlinux also suggest that early Pi could deliver only 140
mA in aggregate to the USB ports.  lsusb is an essential command for pi users.

BTW, the pi (and I gather many ARM based devices) effectively use the USB bus
as their I/O bus.  The pi uses a SMSC LAN9512 chip that is designed
specifically for that style of use.  It is primarily a USB controller but also
provides 10/100 Ethernet from it as well as driving LED etc.  Gigabit
Ethernet/USB adapters are an oxymoron at the best of times and particularly so
with a pi.

BTW2, pi have recently changed to Hynix memory chips and that requires a
different compilation, which some distros are not doing.

http://planet.ipfire.org/search?q=arm

Rod