[clug] ATX r pi

Brians brians at en.com.au
Sat Nov 16 12:23:02 MST 2013

The rpi has only two USB ports which are often used by a keyboard and
mouse and then you need a few more ports ie memory stick, external 2
1/2"  harddisk etc

A powered USB hub is often used to provide more USB ports and also if
the hub has a 2 amp or more external power supply provide the 5VDC to
power the rpi itself.

A model B rpi only uses around 800mA or around 4 watts.

Bunnings have a 2000 mA 5VDC seven usb port powered hub for around $30
which works well with a rpi.

Jaycar and many other places sell powered usb hubs, just make sure that
it has a minimum 2 amp supply.

Alternatively use a spare USB phone charger or a cigarette lighter usb
car charger.