[clug] Adobe Password Breach

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Tue Nov 5 22:19:05 MST 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:42:17AM +1100, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> How do you back that up so if you lose your phone you're not stuffed when
> you need to do some banking in a hurry as your wallet was stolen too?
  * Unlock awallet with master key
  * select save to file (its an encrypted file)
  * put file somewhere

You can also export to CSV too, obviously that can go anywhere and
you would have to be careful about the file.

> Can you dump the encrypted store and import into an equivalent program on
> your laptop?  Then what happens if you add one password to your phone and a
I don't think there is a different program. This one does not have
internet access permissions permitted so there is no automatic syncing.
I like that, some people who don't there is a different version.

> Can they cope with these moronic websites, like say, your bank that insist
> on "at least one number, one piece of punctuation but no more than 8
It's a password store, not a password creator, so it'll happily store
whatever you give it. I still use pwgen for creating them, at times.

> Is it better than a master list created with a text editor on a remote box
> that you store gpg encrypted and can backup? (I'm not doubting or being
My first store was something like that, a very long ago. Back then, sure
it was ok, with all the obvious problems that entails like you need to
have a plaintext file to edit it.

Next was pwman3 which was ok, but sometimes and increasingly most times
I need the password when I'm not in front of that computer which is
why I changed. The searching was also annoything while awallet searches
across all fields.

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ   http://enc.com.au/          csmall at : enc.com.au
Debian GNU/Linux     http://www.debian.org/      csmall at : debian.org