[clug] Migrating Evolution

Keith Goggin keith.goggin at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 4 01:16:40 MST 2013

Hi again,

OK having asked my stupid question I'll try a more sensible one.

This migration involved not only a large contact list but also a very
large number of emails. From the mb2md man page usage section I learned
that I could convert an individual file from mbox to mdir with output to
/home/blah/Maildir using

     mb2md -s /home/blah/.evolution/mail/local/inbox

on the old box which could be copied to

     /home/blah/.local/share/evolution/mail/local

on the new box and that worked OK.

Then I tried to convert all my old mail directories of which there were
many using

     mb2md -s /home/blah/.evolution/mail/local -R

and that seemed to work too but on closer inspection I had replicated
the rich directory structure of the old system but most of those
directories were empty?

Again any help much appreciated.