[clug] Off topic: recommendations for a reliable wireless router?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Fri May 24 19:06:07 MDT 2013

On 24/05/13 23:49, Ben Davies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to get a new wireless router as my current Netgear device is
> starting to play up (connections are dropped & wireless performance is
> terrible - negating having FTTH!).
>
> Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has similar requirements & can
> recommend something already in use. Roughly speaking, I'm looking for:
> - something midrange for home use (mostly email, web browsing,
> potentially a media server for the idiot box)
> - support for 802.11n and IPV6
> - USB ports (can get by with 1, 2 is probably more useful though)
> - reliable! I'd rather not go shopping again 6-12 months down the track :-)
>
> I'm probably goig to steer clear of Netgear - a number of reviews
> listed recurring problems with dropouts/connection problems/devices
> dying.
>
> Any suggestions welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>

> Ben

TP-Link are about the best value, bang for buck. Possibly the TL-WR703N,
which will do what you've specified and more (USB, Wireless, Bluetooth,
support for 3G USB Modems). Add a cheap USB2.0 hub, a small USB Flash
key, and you can build most anything. Lot's of well documented hardware
hacks for it. Under $30 shipped from China as a single unit.

Not supported by DebianWRT last time I checked, but well supported by
OpenWRT.

DDW-WRT is, um, somewhat contentious (and almost identical in pedigree,
behaviour, and leg action to a dog called Sveasoft). Some to the claims
which appear to be substantiated:-

DDWRT is *not* Open Source - despite the claims of "Brain Slayer (James
Ewing/Sebastian Gottschall)" it is based on Open Source kernel work and
breaches the license of the original developers. DD-WRT is built on
Sveasoft, which was built on OpenWRT.
DD-WRT (Sebastian) then stole (forked in breach of license) from the
Sveasoft Alchemy code (the web interface) - given that DDWRT claimed to
be GPL code, that would make those changes Open Source as well - but not
according to Sebastian (see
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Development where he claims his
"branding rights" exceed the rights of the people whose code he stole).
DD-WRT do *not* make the source code to their GPL project fully
available one day (you know, with comments and such).
Broadcom, Microsoft and other license holders found code in their
repository (since removed in one of BrainSlayers great purges)
eg.
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/browser/src/shared/nvram/nvram_ro.c
now deleted from the repository included this:-
"This is UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE of Broadcom Corporation;
the contents of this file may not be disclosed to third parties, copied
or duplicated in any form, in whole or in part, without the prior
written permission of Broadcom Corporation."

The standard DD-WRT license:-

    We grant the customer the simple, not sole and only in accordance
with Item 10 transferable, valuable right to use the programme in the
scope of and in conjunction with the associated hardware.

    The user is only authorized to reproduce insofar as this is
necessary for conventionary use. He is permitted to create a backup
copy. Use of the product exceeding own personal use is forbidden, in
particular the copying of the product onto further storage mediums or
the duplication of any kind for external use.

    Reverse engineering, decompiling and disassembly of the software are
not permitted beyond the tight limitations of the Copyright Act.

Which is a rather liberal GPL license compared to their "special" GPL
licensed product:-
http://www.dd-wrt.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31

Kind regards