[clug] Off topic: recommendations for a reliable wireless router?

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Fri May 24 10:21:11 MDT 2013

In my experience every device that someone has been able to make work with
openwrt, debwrt, dd-wrt, tomato, oleg's firmware or all the others is a
vastly superior thing than it was when it had the manufacturers own variant.
My Asus routers are 4-5 years old now and still going strong. This one
below is running debwrt on an 8G usb stick.  It's a WL-500gP v2
It's serving up http://ashburner.info/lastsnap.jpg which I am reluctant and
embarrassed to post here (and it won't be up forever either) but meh, it's
a webserver I wrote in c++ on a mips router running linux. I actually built
the source natively on the router too. apt-get install gcc on your router
for epic win.
tcpdump, nmap & friends on your router can also be useful.

[hal at bridgewatch 2:09 ~ ] cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type : Broadcom BCM47XX
processor : 0
cpu model : Broadcom BCM3302 V0.6
BogoMIPS : 263.16