[clug] [OT-Budget] NICTA being wound down. 2yrs?

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Tue May 14 08:28:29 MDT 2013

On 14/05/13 23:30, steve jenkin wrote:
> Taking NICTA out of Canberra will make a hole.
>
> I couldn't figure if they've got 1 or 2 years left. Any help?

DBCDE portfolio budget statement[0] at page 28 indicates the following
funding for the ICT Centre of Excellence program (ie NICTA):

* 2013-14: $22,563,000
* 2014-15: $21,435,000
* 2015-16 onwards: nil

So they have until June 2015 - two years.

NICTA's funding doesn't come solely through DBCDE - it also has
something like $3m per year from the ACT Government, among other things.
But losing $20m of core federal funding is a giant hit.

Their other main federal funding source is the Australian Research
Council, under the ARC Centres of Excellence scheme which is part of
their Linkage Program. I note that [1] at page 252 indicates a drop of
~$25m to the Linkage Program in 2015-16 - not sure whether/how much of
it is NICTA related.

Andrew

[0]
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/163417/COMPLETE_BCDE_PBS.pdf