[clug] Idle thought: can I migrate processes from a high-power to a low-power system?

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Mar 6 02:06:41 MST 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> <snipped>
>
>>  but insert "-r" (resume)
>
> Should be:-
>
> but insert "-c" (continue)
>
> (as Hal suggested)
>
> not "-r" *(recurse)*
>

> You can also use aria2c to continue the download, many switches are the
> same as for wget with the added advantage that you can add additional
> sources and protocols (ftp, bittorrent etc).

For the specific task of downloading files, some ADSL modems/routers have
features allowing a machine behind it* to initiate a download on the modem
- via browser plugins and the like, I think.  Download can continue when
you turn your desktop machine off and is tranfered onto the desktop
machine later.

Never played with them myself.  Almost certainly Windows-only; just
pointing out that others have attacked this specific problem (and that the
OP almost certainly has an ADSL modem/router ;-)

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.

(*) and presumably any other machine in the internet, given most
firmware security ;-)